California Consumer Privacy Act Regulations
On July 8, 2022, the California Privacy Protection Agency commenced the formal rulemaking process to adopt regulations to implement the Consumer Privacy Rights Act of 2020 (CPRA). The proposed regulations: (1) update existing CCPA regulations to harmonize them with CPRA amendments to the CCPA; (2) operationalize new rights and concepts introduced by the CPRA to provide clarity and specificity to implement the law; and (3) reorganize and consolidate requirements set forth in the law to make the regulations easier to follow and understand.
Notice Register Publication Date: July 8, 2022
Status of the Proposal: The rulemaking is complete. On March 29, 2023, the Office of Administrative Law approved the California Privacy Protection Agency’s regulations and filed them with the Secretary of State. The regulations became effective on March 29, 2023.
March 29, 2023 - Final Rulemaking Documents
- Final Regulations Text
- Final Statement of Reasons
- Final Statement of Reasons Addendum
- Final Statement of Reasons – Appendix A (45-Day Comment Summaries and Responses)
- Final Statement of Reasons - Appendix B (45-Day Commenter Index)
- Final Statement of Reasons – Appendix C (15-Day Comment Summaries and Responses)
- Final Statement of Reasons - Appendix D (15-Day Commenter Index)
- Final Economic and Fiscal Impact Statement (STD 399)
- Final STD 399 Addendum
- Notice of Approval
- Updated Informative Digest
November 3, 2022 – Public Notice of Proposed Modifications and Additional Materials Relied Upon
- Modified Text of Proposed Regulations
- Notice of Modifications to Text of Proposed Regulations
- Additional Documents and Information Relied Upon
July 8, 2022 - Public Notice of Rulemaking and Related Documents
- Notice of Proposed Rulemaking, pdf
- Text of Proposed Regulations, pdf
- Initial Statement of Reasons, pdf
- Appendix A to Initial Statement of Reasons, Materials Relied On, pdf
- Economic and Fiscal Impact Statement (STD 399), pdf
- STD 399 Attachment, pdf
B. Public Comments
Comments received during the 45 Day Comment Periods are linked below.
Comments received during the 15 Day Comment Period are linked below.