California Consumer Privacy Act Regulations
On July 8, 2022, the California Privacy Protection Agency commenced the formal rulemaking process to adopt regulations to implement the Consumer Privacy Rights Act of 2020 (CPRA). The proposed regulations: (1) update existing CCPA regulations to harmonize them with CPRA amendments to the CCPA; (2) operationalize new rights and concepts introduced by the CPRA to provide clarity and specificity to implement the law; and (3) reorganize and consolidate requirements set forth in the law to make the regulations easier to follow and understand.
The proposed regulations and their supporting documents are linked below.
- Notice of Proposed Rulemaking, pdf
- Text of Proposed Regulations, pdf
- Initial Statement of Reasons, pdf
- Appendix A to Initial Statement of Reasons, Materials Relied On, pdf
- Economic and Fiscal Impact Statement (STD 399), pdf
- STD 399 Attachment, pdf
Comments from the 45day Request for Comments are linked below.
- CPPA RM1 45day Written Comments 1-25.pdf
- CPPA RM1 45day Written Comments 26-50.pdf
- CPPA RM1 45day Written Comments 51-75.pdf
- CPPA RM1 45day Written Comments 76-102.pdf
- CPPA RM1 Hearing Oral Comments - Day 1 (2022.08.24)
- CPPA RM1 Hearing Oral Comments - Day 2 (2022.08.25)
Public Participation in the Rulemaking Process
Any interested person may participate in formal rulemaking process in the following ways:
Submit a written comment. Written comments must be submitted by 5:00 pm PDT on August 23, 2022. Comments may be submitted by:
- E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “CPPA Public Comment” in the subject line and include your comments as an attachment to the email. This will help ensure that personal information is not posted to the Agency’s website.
California Privacy Protection Agency
Attn: Brian Soublet
2101 Arena Blvd., Sacramento, CA 95834
Attend and/or speak at the public hearing. A public hearing will be held on August 24 and 25, 2022, at 9:00 am PDT. Members of the public may attend in-person or online.
- By Zoom video conference: https://cppa-ca-gov.zoom.us/j/89421145939
USA (216) 706-7005 US Toll
USA (866) 434-5269 US Toll-free
Conference code: 682962
Elihu M. Harris State Building
1515 Clay Street
Oakland, CA 94612
Auditorium (1st floor)